Friday, June 20, 2008

A Reason For Cool Weather Crops

I love gleaning bits of information from here and there. While this article in the LA Times talks about a California garden climate (you lucky year round gardeners!), the principles of crop rotation and alternate growing seasons can work anywhere:

Lyons recommends changing out plants "en masse" twice a year; he plants summer vegetables in April or May ("I'll add more tomatoes in July so they'll go right through into winter," he notes) and winter vegetables in October or November. Every six weeks, he puts in interval crops, like pole beans, haricots verts, green onions, beets and carrots.

"When you alternate full growing seasons," he says, "you can rotate crops very easily. You put in your tomatoes in the summer, then you put in something else in the winter, and then you can do tomatoes in the same spot the following summer."
Good enough reason for me! Correct me if I'm wrong, that means all I have to figure out is the cool season crops and then my summer season crops can stay in the same place that I've already figured out--and I won't have to re-figure out either season year after year!

No comments: