Monday, June 9, 2008

Independence Days Update

I've had a busy last two weeks with school getting out and other things so here is an update from the last two weeks from what I can remember, so, let's see...

  • Plant Something: I've planted tons of tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, melons, peppers, grapes, strawberries transplanted from a neighbors yard
  • Harvest Something: so far strawberries are the only thing ready to harvest and only a handful at that, so I just put them in my yogurt
  • Preserve Something: I made homemade vegetable broth from the veggie ends I had been saving in the freezer
  • Prep Something: I've been trying to figure out what sort of drip system to put in my raised beds, got one drip type hose for one of them. Trying to figure out where to start my compost pile.
  • Cook Something: homemade chicken noodle soup
  • Manage Your Reserves:
  • Work on Local Food Systems: trying to plant seeds in peoples minds about gardening and self sufficiency
  • Learning more about: rain barrels, compost systems, container plants, solar energy for my house and last but not least, learning more about chickens

2 comments:

Connie said...

As far as composting in a neighborhood goes, I've liked the turning barrels - no smell and compact.

~B. said...

Thanks Verde! I will have to investigate those!