Friday, May 23, 2008

Rain, rain {don't} go away

It's been raining the past few days so I haven't been able to get much done in the garden this week. But I have been researching rainbarrels.

Using the average rainfall for my area (find yours here), I have calculated that we get an average of:

22.2 inches of precipitation each year.

Then to figure out the size of my total roof catchment area I measured the length x width but added 2 feet extra to each to allow for the overhangs. So I had:

47 ft x 37 ft = 1739 square feet of total roof catchment area


Since one inch of water equals roughly 600 gallons per 1000 square foot catchment area I estimate my potential gallons to catch off the roof per each inch of water to be:

600 x 1.739 = 1043.4 gallons

Now figure in the yearly rainfall to figure out the total yearly catch:

1043.4 x 22.2 = 23,163.48 potential gallons per year

So now I need to figure out how many rainbarrels that would take and what kind of system I would want {plus where on earth to put them}.

Since we don't have secondary water we have to use our municipal water for watering our lawns and garden, I wonder how much less municipal water I would use if I used rainwater for the yard instead. I still need to figure that part out. Seems like it would be nicer to be able to use what Mother Nature is already providing.

I used the calculations based from here, if I did my math wrong feel free to let me know.

3 comments:

Connie said...

This is exactly what I've been thinking about!

It's raining here too and I started eyeballing the roof line thinking that I'd like a rain barrel for every 8' of roofline.

Now I'll do the calculations - um, that's not my strong suit, maybe I'll find someone else to do it - and see how my eye ball measured up.

anna jo said...

if pete and I had a house with a yard and a garden, etc we would totally be doing this. we've already talked about it.

so you should totally do it!

~B. said...

You can do it verde! I'm no good at math either and somehow {I think} I got the calculations right!

And someday Anna you will be able to do it too! That will be so exciting!