Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My Patio Stairs

Originally I wanted something like this surrounding my patio stairs:

{click to enlarge}



But I found out this past summer that my tall house keeps this area in the shade until it receives afternoon sun starting around 2:00. But then the neighbors trees start giving me late afternoon shade, so they really don't get a ton of direct sunlight. So obviously my sun loving vegetables didn't do very well in this spot.

But it doesn't mean I can't grow edibles there! A quick google search told me I just need to plant different ones this coming year like any of these that do well with less sun and/or shade:

Arugula, cabbage, kale, lettuce, mustard greens, pak choi, parsley, sorrel, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, beets, brussel sprouts, radishes, swiss chard, collards, chives, garlic chives, onions, cardamom, mints, sage, dill, oregano, borage, chamomile, several kinds of thyme, bush beans, blackberry, currants, gooseberry, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, several kinds of pears, hardy kiwi, filbert, hazelnut, and yellowhorn.

Now, which ones do I want to try? Which ones will do best in pots? Hmm, decisions, decisions!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew several of the greens and herbs you mention in containers on my deck which is partially shaded. I highly recommend kale and chard for your steps. I found them to be quite attractive as well as edible. Sage, oregano, mints, chives, and thyme would all work well for smaller filler plants and were very happy in my container garden. I had no luck with beets. Pole beans on trellises are okay but I was not happy with either the appearance or productivity of bush beans or peas in my container garden. For me spinach and lettuce were great in the cooler spring/early summer months but didn't withstand the heat.

I have photos of my 2008 container garden over at http://www.flickr.com/photos/destabee/sets/72157604987571219/ if you want to see how things worked for me.

Have fun planning the new potted garden. :)

~B. said...

Oooh! Your pictures are lovely!! And so good to hear from your personal experience too-- that will definately help me in making a decision on what to plant next year!

Anonymous said...

Those are some great steps; I love your plans!

Parsley is a biennial, and it gets big. I didn't know it di well in the shade; I think I might move it then. I am having a lot of shade under my finally growing fig tree.

I tried chard there, but it was eaten by bugs. Good to know that I can try again.

I grew chard in my front yard at my last house, and just cut it as I needed it. It fit perfectly with my other plants.

I look forward to seeing your steps next fall!

~B. said...

You know, I've never tasted chard before. I don't even know how to eat it or cook it. I'd better find out and start collecting recipes if I'm going to try growing it! Have any good ones?

Anonymous said...

We steam chard.I like it warm with lemon juice, salt and pepper.

My husband likes it cold with mayo (the same steamed stuff).

Some people like it raw in salads and on sandwiches.

I also like it chopped up and thrown in vegetable soup.

Oh, and thanks again for your pear pictures; I put in two new pear trees!

~B. said...

Oh good! I'm glad the pictures inspired you then! And thanks for the chard ideas--I'll save them and try them out this summer!