Sunday, October 5, 2008

Independence Days: What We've Been Up To


Lately I've been helping my brother get some of his food storage all set up. His is looking better than mine! They completely cleaned out their storage room just for food storage. My storage room has to share with other things still. But I'm proud of what they've gotten done in a short amount of time! Good job guys!

Meanwhile, over here I have been canning some peaches, apples and pears. I was going to pick grapes to make juice this weekend but it has been too rainy. So I guess I will get to that during the week instead.

I'm also getting ready to bring in the rest of the tomatoes. There are still tons of green ones but we're getting real close to our usual frost date so I need to get them taken care of soon. I've never brought tomatoes in before and I'm not real sure how to hang them up, so if anyone has ideas, hints or whatever, let me know!

I'm hoping to go pick up a peach tree from the nursery this week to plant now that the trees are going on clearance. I also need to prune my espaliers too {I think} but I need to research it a bit more. I don't want to prune them the wrong way and kill them off or something.

I'm pretty sure the Idaho potatoes are ready to pickup somewhere and I also saw the local onion farmers trucking off huge truckloads recently so I know it is time to get some for the root cellar.

Speaking of my root cellar, I found a cool apple rack in one of my old british decorating magazines {that I love to read whenever it rains for some reason} that my cute hubby said he could help me build. I'm so excited! I will try to post pictures of that soon!

So that's what has been going on over here!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

When you dehydrate your produce, do you use a dehydrator or your oven? Also, what are your favorite food to dehydrate?

We're going to be talking about dehydrating on our blog, and I've been looking for information of what different methods people use.

Great blog!
Hannah @
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

~B. said...

Thanks Hannah! I do have a dehydrator (Ronco) with 8 trays but am on the lookout for more dehydrators at yard sales because sometimes the one just isn't enough if you have a bumper crop you're trying to get through.

I haven't used the oven, but have tried stringing up apples and I was also going to try using my truck because the hot summer heat gets trapped so well in there ;).

For the car/truck thing you just need some screens and 2x4's to prop them up on. However, I'm not sure if window screens from the hardware store are food safe or not--I'm still checking on that!

I really like zuke chips, banana chips and dried apples. But since I don't like things to go to waste, I'm willing to try my hand at dehydrating just about anything--I hear dehydrated watermelon is divine but I've never tried it yet. Seems like it would take a long time to dry.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away! What you guys are doing on your blog is awesome!