Saturday, November 8, 2008

Apple Storage

I mentioned the apple rack my hubby said he could help me build a while ago but realized I never showed it to you. So voila! Here it is!

{via Country Living UK, Nov 2003}

You can purchase an apple rack like that at R. K. Alliston from the UK but hubby says if you're handy it really doesn't look that hard to build.


Or this Gorm clip-on basket {only $4!} could also work in some instances.



Apples need to be stored in shallow layers so that they don't bruise each other plus it makes it easier to check on them this way. That's why I like the above two options, but half bushel baskets and slatted crates work well too.

They like nice cold temperatures, as low as 32 degrees, but can also be kept a little warmer, they just won't last quite as long. So depending on the temperature they're kept at you could possibly have fresh apples clear til spring. Wouldn't that be lovely?

But if they become softer than you'd like for fresh eating you can always serve them as baked apples or applesauce. Mmmm!

4 comments:

Connie said...

I find apples kind of hard to store. I do have an extra fridge with nice deep drawers and a humidity setting and the best of those I picked are doing well in there. I think we'll have an apple pie at Thanksgiving.

I love the classy apple rack on the top picture though. I hope your hubby wants to build one of those and you'll post pictures!

~B. said...

I've read it depends on the variety of apple too. Some just store better than others.

That will be so yummy to make your own apple pie for Thanksgiving! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You just gave me a great idea!

I like the wooden rack at the top better, but the bottom one is more practical for me, because we just rearranged our closet, and I have some drawers like those that we have been wondering what to do with now.

Only thing is, they don't fit in my food storage room.

Apples need to be stored cold (refrigerator cold). Where did you put this?

~B. said...

I just found some baskets like those Ikea ones even cheaper at Walmart.

I haven't actually stored mine in their final spot yet. We have a cold storage room in the basement that is surrounded by cement walls that gets pretty darn cold, so that's where the apples will go eventually in the apple rack I want hubs to build for me. Or I might even be able to put them outside in the winter...maybe. I'm still deciding!