Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Salsa

I was about to give up on this whole canning business after I made this salsa, but that's a looooong story that basically boils down to inexperience, not enough tomatoes, no food chopper to make it quicker and way too much time involved.

BUT!

Even though I went through all that just for a quart and a half of salsa, it was THE BEST SALSA I have ever tasted! No going back to store brands ever after that! Not even the store bought fresh pico de gallo salsas!


Zesty Salsa

10 cups chopped, seeded, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 6 pounds)
5 cups chopped and seeded Anaheim peppers (about 2 pounds)
5 cups chopped onions (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 1/2 cups chopped and seeded jalapeno peppers (about 1 pound)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Wear rubber gloves when cutting or seeding hot peppers to prevent hands from being burned.

Makes about 6 pints

4 comments:

Connie said...

Mmmmm sounds good. I'll have to give it a try.

It's me said...

Somehow your experiences sound a lot like someone else I know. :)

na said...

I started making this recipe last year and I love it! I do have a food processor...but I don't use it for salsa because I like mine chunky.

BTW...I couldn't touch my arm for almost a week due to the pain that occurred from making this recipe 8 times in one week!

Have a great day!
Christy

~B. said...

Oh yeah! I like mine chunky too Christy! Yum! Yum!